I tell Keith, my mom, and my mil every day that I need to keep better track of the hysterical things that Kirby says to me. He honestly keeps me cracking up all day every day. This age is so funny. Seems like they know just enough to get themselves in trouble. Just enough.
Kirby has been having a cow about changing his diaper. EVERY diaper change. I had begun to talk to him about how he either has to have his diaper changed, or he has to sit on the potty and wear big boy undies. Man did he give major resistance to that suggestion. Then all of a sudden, several weeks back, Kirby woke up and randomly told me he wanted to sit on the potty. I jumped at the chance, and he successfully peed in the potty. Keith was coming home from night float that morning and said he'd stay with him while I went to work at the Y for the morning. Poor Kieth carried the brunt of the potty training here as he had several accidents that morning/day. By Sunday, I was thinking I was going to give up and try another day, especially since Keith and I came down with the stomach bug so kindly delivered to us by our little girl. Blech. Then all of a sudden, it clicked. He got it! He peed and pooped in the potty, and there has been no turning back. He gets a reese's cup for pee and a candy cane kiss for poop. Man, a treat goes a long way. We've downgraded to peanut butter m&m's. He doesn't care. He just wants a treat and to feel like a big boy. How proud is he? We've had very few accidents including our travels to/from Nashville for Christmas for families. So just yesterday. He was washing his hands after pooping and peeing on the potty. He was telling me what a big boy he was because he had pooped and peed. I sat down to pee a little myself. He asked me if I was going to pee and poop on the potty. He looked so disappointed when I told him I was just going to go pee. He paused, and then with a huge smile he told me that he was bigger than I because he went pee AND poop. Hahaha. Cracked me up. And oh how fabulous potty training is. He is so proud of himself and so stinkin' cute in his undies!!!!
These days I hear myself in his words ALL the time. Lately, Kirby has begun to push the envelope just a bit further than usual especially with his sweet little sister. He wants to roll on her, put his feet on her, ahhhmmmmmm BITE her (yikes!), take toys from her, and more. We've had to have several words about it. I have found myself trying to get myself on his level (you know, like "they" say in all the books) and talk to him about why he is in time out or why he is in trouble. I've found myself saying, "Look at mommy. Eyes on Mommy. Eyes on ME!!!!" The other day, he was sitting at the table while Susanna Rose was eating a snack (read: he was stealing her cheerios). He was trying to get her to say dadadadadadada. She wasn't following his lead, and he was getting very frustrated with her. Then suddenly I heard him say, "No. NO. NOOOOO. Absolutely not. Absolutely NOT! Dada Dada Dada! Look at me. LOOK AT ME. Eyes on Kirby. EYES ON ME!!!!" Oh my.
And then I hear him hug Susanna Rose or Quillen and say, "I love you SOOOOOOOOO much." Now, that I don't mind to hear. That melts my heart. Love that little boy.
MSTH:
ReplyDeleteBig event in the life of Kirby as well as his parents. Potty training is tough as y'all are finding out.
Dad/Deda